Heart Disease Expert Forum
Wolfe Parkinson White Syndrome
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Wolfe Parkinson White Syndrome

Posted By Kiley  on August 26, 1998 at 11:08:12:

My sister was recently diagnosed by a cardiologist with Wolfe Parkinson White Syndrome.  She will be 9 years old in October.  What led my mother to take her to the doctor in the first place was that she was playing softball one day, and suddenly her lips turned white, it felt like she had a fever, and she eventually went unconscious for about 5 mintues.  She has had several EKG's in the past (7 in all), but no one has ever diagnosed this before.  She also has a tendency to be asthmatic.  I would like to find out more about WPW, it's treatments and if their are more risks involved due to her young age.  She will be going in for several tests tomorrow, and I'd also like to find out more about them.  She will be receving another EKG, an echocardiogram and she'll be put on a holter monitor.  In your opinion, should any other tests be performed?  What do these tests determine?  I read that the treatment is a procedure called an albation.  Is this the only treatment available?  Also, should she change her diet at all? (I heard that a vegetarian diet could be helpful, but I didn't really get that from a reliable source).  I guess any info that you're able to give me would be extremely helpful.  Thanks a lot!
Kiley