Heart Disease Expert Forum
Wolffe Parkinson White Syndrom(syndrome)

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Posted By KevinM on July 19, 1998 at 22:16:39:

I am an active healthy 24 year old male who was diagnosed with Wolffe Parkinson White syndrom (syndrome) five days ago after having been rushed to the E.R. with severe heart palpitations and a heart rate of 240 beats per minute.  My physician and cardiologist diagnosed me with SVT and WPW syndrom (syndrome) after performing a blood test, an ekg, and an echo test.  I am currently waiting to be scheduled for what they called an ablation of the extra electrical pathway in my heart.  My questions are:
1.  How safe is the ablation?  What are potential problems that may arise either during the ablation or afterwards?
2.  Is there any kind of a rating system for the doctors which perform this type of procedure, simply put are some doctors better than others at this procedure and how may I find out who is the best?
3.  How common is this procedure and how many are performed daily, weekly or yearly?
4.  Is it common for a cardiologist to recommend the ablation after only reviewing blood tests, and ekg, and an echo test of the heart?
5.  I am currently taking the drug Diltiazem which seems to be controling my heart problem.  Therefore, if I were to postpone the ablation procedure could I possibly be putting myself in danger of further heart problems?
Thank you very much in helping me to understand this procedure.