Heart Disease Expert Forum
Working out with a pacemaker
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Working out with a pacemaker

Hello,

I had a pacemaker installed when i was 21 to help out with the sick sinus syndrom (syndrome) and i am now 35 years of age.  Within 14 years i have gained between 50-60 pounds after having 2 kids.  My husband and I have started working out 2 months ago and i was really short of breath and my hands would become swollen later that night. November 25th, 2009 i had a pacemaker appointment and i brought up the question that i have tried to work out and i explained my symptoms, short of breath, swollen fingers and arms and sometime my chest starts hurting and we stopped training after that.  He later told me that my pacemaker is set for my heart rate not to go over 70 but there is no reason why it was set that low.  I want to know for with the (SSS), should the pacemaker be set that low and could i recommend that it be set higher so i can burn calories to loose weight?  I have a schedule appointment in January to look at my paper work and all my settings to see if i am able to get back in the gym with a pacemaker.  If you can help me out with this subject that would be great.  And with (SSS) and a pacemaker, could i ever get back in the gym like i was before i had the pacemaker installed. thank you Dr's....