Heart Disease Expert Forum
Worried ab out husband - enlarged right ventricle

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

My husband just went to the cardiologist on Friday and they saw that he has an enlarged right ventricle.  He never went to this doctor before so he said he can't tell him anything until he gets all of his records.  So now we're just sitting here worrying, because the only thing that comes up when you do a search for enlarged right ventricle is pulmonary hypertension.  What is this??  To give you some history, my husband is 31 years old and he's had high blood pressure for as long as I can remember and high cholesterol.  He just had an EKG in November and they didn't see anything like this and he regularly goes to cardiologists and no one has ever mentioned this!!  Is it possible to be something other then pulmonary hypertension??  
lucienne,

There are multiple causes of an enlarged right ventricle. There are also different ways that the ventricle can be enlarged. Either high pressure (ie..pulmonary hypertension) can cause the thickness of the ventricle to increase or increased volume from shunting (ie..Atrial septal defects) can cause the diameter of the chamber to increase. Sometimes, its a combination of both. If your husband is a large man, he just may have a larger right ventricle.

You need to stop worrying about this until you see your doc. Once, they have the opportunity to review your case they can discuss the finding and the cause with you.

good luck