Heart Disease Expert Forum
Younger guy need some help
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Younger guy need some help

I am a 21 yr old male 6'0 250 lbs (powerlifter). Im now starting to do more cardio than lifting and trying to get my weight down. I had some pretty high cholesterol numbers total was 233, and triglycerides were around 300. I know I need to get my butt going and Im doing that. Im just nervous about having a heart attack I know that is rare at my age. I had a normal EKG about 8 months ago, normal blood work a month ago except for cholesterol, and a full cardio workup chest xray and blood work, 3 ekgs a year ago after a little scare when my heart rate jumped up and did not want to come back down during a work out.

The last two days ive felt this funny feeling in my chest, it honestly feels more like a muscle or joint pain because its like a quick pain i cant point to that comes and goes, think its because i sleep on my side. sometimes it feels like it shoots to  my left underarm bicep but its gone pretty quick. notice it more when i slouch too.

Today I did a pretty intense cardio workout, im pretty out of shape right now too, and my heart rate got up to about 180, after a minute dropped to 156, and then continued to come down quickly till 120. then about 20 minutes later i was floating around high 90's low 100's. now im just doing work and im high 80's low 90's. i do have quite a bit of health anxiety as well.

With all those tests except for cholesterol and my age do I really need to worry about a heart attack? Or should i just focus on getting my weight down and keep exercising (Ive really increased my cardio lately and never have chest pain while working out).
1687176_tn?1321401609
It's good that you are starting to think about your cardiac (and overall) health at such a young age.  21 is very young and a heart attack at this age would be extremely rare.  However, appropriate measures you can take now and continue are maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regimen.  Low fat, low salt diets are the typical "heart healthy" diet that is recommended by most cardiologists.  As for exercise, the ACC/AHA recommend 20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise (running, jogging, swimming, rowing, biking, eliptical, etc) 4-5 times per week.  Abstaining from any tobacco use is also extremely important.  Risk factors for coronary artery disease include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, diabetes, and an early family history of heart attack.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank