Heart Disease Expert Forum
Zoloft

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Zoloft

Can zoloft slow down the heart beat?  I have been on 25mg for almost two weeks and have noticed that my heart rate has slowed down (in between 55-60 beat where it is usually between 65-80 resting).  I am fairly active and what other side effects should I beaware of while taking zoloft (I am taking it for anxiety).  Thanks a Million
Dear Cindy,  
Your heart rate has likely slowed down due to the effects of Zoloft to decrease anxiety as well as mild effects on the heart.

Dear Cindy,  

Dear Cindy,  

Should I be concerned?  I don't feel dizzy or anything.  Thanks for your help.  Also, I feel like my chest is trembling (tremors).  Is this another effect of zoloft.

Sometimes I also felt a mild tremor in my chest while I am trying to fall asleep. It doesn't happen while I am awake. I am taking 25mg of Atenolol per day for BP. It started happening afet I started taking Atenolol. While this tremor happening, I check my pulse, it is normal. I also checked by once, it was normal, too. It doesn't bother me that much, but sometimes doesn't let me fall asleep. Any answer is appreciated.

Jenale
My husband had a heart attack in January 1987 with damage to the lower portion of his heart.  Subsequent to the heart attack, he had angioplasty on one artery that was 99% blocked (took blockage down to 35 - 40 percent blockage.)  My husband did NOT have a stent put in at that time.

He is still with me, but oh God, I worry most every day about him.  It was so horrible watching him have the heart attack, it scared us both so much.

Do you think he needs a stent?  He holds a fulltime job in a factory.

I also read an article that said the best indicator of heart disease is not the actual treadmill stress test, but rather how quickly the heart goes back to normal after the test.  The results seemed staggering to me.  Almost an 80% assurance of heart problems if the heart did not go back to normal in the proper amount of time.  I want to make sure the cardiologist is aware of this when my husband goes in for his next checkup.  The cardiologist does not even see my husband once a year anymore.

Thanks for your input.
A stent is not always required or possible.  YOur husband should have all his risk factors for heart disease modified including his weight and cholesterol.

It is reasonalbe to have a followup in 3 months folowing his angioplasty to see how he is doing.