Heart Disease Expert Forum
a statin myth?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

a statin myth?
here's a quote about statins from a medical source:

"They not only help to lower cholesterol levels but also stabilise any fatty plaques (atheroma) against the arterial wall which reduces the risk of rupture"

If this is in fact a second (and most  important) function of statins apart from cholesterol control why don't the manufacturers broadcast it in their literature? It is never mentionned where I have searched., only that it lowers cholesterol and thus has all the millions of weight reducers as customers.. What about the millions of heart patients ? Why doesn't Big Pharm go for them too? My docs have drawn me sketches of this function including how it affects possible deposits at each end of my stent. Where do they get this from when the makers don't mention it?

Hello there,

You are absolutely correct about this information. Statins have a lot of other benefits besides lowering cholesterol. These effects are called as "pleiotropic" effects. They are well known to cardiologists and hence we understand and use statins for these effects in most of our patients.
I am not sure why pharma companies don't advertise them- perhaps because the exact mechanism for a lot of these ancillary benefits is not well understood.
I am certainly glad that your doctors have talked to you about them and have stressed the importance of statin use in cardiology