Heart Disease Community
abnormal echocardiogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

abnormal echocardiogram

I recently had an echo for shortness of breath and pressure in chest. Chest x-ray, pulmonary function and stress test were normal. Echo showed
Left ventricular hypertrophy, both atria are dilated. Tricuspid regurgitation is graded trivial. Pulmonary artery systolic pressure is estimated to be 27 mmGh from the TR jet. The LV apex appears akinetic or dyskinetic.

Should I be worried? Wait time to see a cardiologist is >six months. Do not know if I should go to Emergency or not.
If you needed to be seen sooner, you would have an appointment already. If you start to feel symptoms go to the ER. Dangerous symptoms from an enlarged heart include chest pain, shortness of breath and arrhythmia.

The issue that needs to be resolved is the underlying cause of the hypertrophy, usually high BP. Did you doctor put you on any meds for BP?

In any case, you don't have anything that will make you drop dead, just be aware of any new symptoms and if you have some go get checked out. Better safe than sorry!

Jon
I'd be pleased to see the word 'trivial' in any echo test, it basically means normal, in my experiences.  All heart valves leak a bit unless one is Superman.  Atrial enlargement is more troublesome, especially when your pulmonary pressures are above about 25mm.  It means something is going on, as I've been told.  It sounds to me like you have been given a big warning of lung issues,  Like Jon suggests, it's time to address blood pressure issues.  However, in my experiences, high pulmonary pressures indicate some problems with the lungs.
The fact that your pressures were just 27mm suggest to me that you
have caught a problem very early on, and if I were walking in your shoes, I'd quit smoking if you smoke, throw away your salt shaker, lose weight, and exercise.  
Keep us informed.
FYI, my blood pressure has always been low/normal. It has never been high. I exercise daily, eat relatively well, don't drink and have recently stopped smoking (again). I am finding lately that it is harder to bike in to work due to the discomfort and SOB. I could show up in ER but want that as a last resort (don't like hospitals even though I work in one)
Congratulations for quitting smoking.  I've been there, done that years ago, and it hard to do, but certainly not impossible and worth it.  Cigarette smoking is probably a strong contributor to your elevated pressures.  I'm betting the pressures will diminish if you continue to be a non-smoker.  

I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he said he could tell me what I have (diastolic dysfunction and "stiff" heart) but that he couldn't tell me why. Next step is MRI, re-reading the echo and more tests. So it is still a watch and wait situation. Meanwhile, exercise gently and don't overwork my heart right now