Heart Disease Community
abnormal ekg

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

abnormal ekg

On several occasions over the past 11 years I have been hospitalized due to chest discomfort, abnormal ekg.  The first instance showed significant changes on the echo, but quickly cleared up after the dr. put me on steroids for pain.  After 2 days on steroids, was given a heart cath that showed normal.  They sent me home and said nothing was wrong.  The pain in my chest never completely went away and about 6 months later became worrisome and I went to the doctor.  Again I was hospitalized with ST changes, kept in the hospital over night and then sent home.  No tests were run.  I have continued to have the chest discomfort.  Sometimes worse than others.  In 2003 I awoke in the early morning with nausea and sweating.  While going to the bathroom I passed out.  When I came to, my heart rhythm was all over the place.  My sister took me to the emergency room where they immediately saw a-fib.  After about 2-3 hours they were able to convert me with medications.  They sent me home with beta blockers.  After about 6 months my dr. took me off the beta blockers and I did ok for a while.  Although I continue to have chest pains that would increase in intensity at times.  Over the years I had a couple of other episodes of a-fib, but I did not go to the hospital, I just used a lot of relaxation techniques and on one occasion used phenergan to make me sleep and it cleared up the a-fib.  A few days ago I went to the doctor because of a different chest discomfort.  This one was less pain and more pressure and was in the middle of my chest between my breasts.  I had been dealing with it for 5 days and wanted to get something to get rid of the pain.  My current doctor did an ekg which showed an inverted T wave.  She suggested I go to the hospital so I could have tests run.  I did, they ran blood tests, kept me over night and sent me home.  The following day I had a stress test and isotope scan.  Both showed normal pumping and no blockages in the heart.  

Can anyone help me figure this out?  Or at least tell me where I should go to figure it out?  Even though the typical tests are negative, maybe I need different test?  There is clearly something causing me discomfort and abnormal stress on my heart.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  

P.S. My father was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy at age 54.  Thank you.

This discussion is related to Inverted T waves.