Heart Disease Expert Forum
air bubbles passing through carotid??

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

air bubbles passing through carotid??

hey docs im a 22 year old male, Doc says i have some PACs and tachy cardia- and I've had some episodes where out of nowhere my heart would go from 60- id get a huge nervous surge throughout my body- and then sky rocket to 155 bpm and would last either a minute to 7 minutes lets say and sort of be episodic. im on metoprolol now and have had fewer episodes thank God. my Docs said that theyve heard a Bruit in my carotid arteries and dismiss it because of my age and whatnot but for the second time now, when iv felt some fluttering in my chest i went to check my pulse in my carotid to see if they were regular or irregular beats and for a few pulsating beats i felt what it would feel like if bubbles were going through my carotid. i know this sounds weird but its the second time it happened. it feels like a distinct squishy swooshing pulse like air bubbles passed through it. is this something i should be concerned with? also note that i have headaches on my left side (behind eye and by temple) and that I've been dizzy.
1 Comment
Sorry to post at the doctors forum, but since the doctors haven't replied yet, I can both bump the thread up a bit, and possibly provide some info. I have PACs and tachycardia as well, and I think I understand what you mean.

I don't think you have air bubbles in your carotid arteries, but you should know that the carotid/jugular veins almost are paired with the carotid arteries, and they will also create a (weird) pulse, especially when lying down. The reason is that when your atria are pumping blood, there are no valves that prevent blood from flowing backwards, so most of the blood is pumped down to the heart chambers, but some of it is returned back in the veins. The atria actually produces two pulse waves for each heart beat (one when pumping blood and one when the AV valves shut). Along with the stronger carotid artery pulse this may feel somewhat strange.

Maybe you should ask your doctor to examine your carotid area, so you get an explaination, so you can forget this? :)