Heart Disease Community
ambien

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

ambien

I have been taking ambien every night for the last two years.  I have pvc's, pac's and every once in a while I go into atril-fib.  Of course now the ambien is not working so well.  I just need to sleep at night so I can handle the arrhythmias during the day.  I do not get arrhythmias at night. How do you get sleep without meds, and how do you get off without going cold turkey and not sleeping at all.  any suggestions.    susie
Ambien doesn't have a high dependency profile.  Personally, I can't just go to bed and sleep.  I have to be either exhausted to the point of delirium, or I read.  I prefer reading.  Thirty minutes of lying in bed with a book calms me immensely.  Try it :)
Ambien becomes less effective over time, or if you take it often.

What you could try is to titrate down over time...like splitting a 10mg to 5mg over a few days.

Sometimes with the sleep meds, you need a "drug vacation" and get some of the stuff out of your system.  
Hello Suzy,
I am having the same problems you are. I have heart disease, been in a-fib a couple times and had a couple angioplastys. I've been on ambien for 11 years and tonight will be my 1st night in 11 years without it. I put a post up on here a couple hours ago looking for the same advice you are. From the few responces I did get tappering off`is most recomended. I hope things work out for you. Dale

I am in the same boat - palpitations (PAC/PVC) kept me up until I tried ambien... 5 or 10 mg  nightly - best night sleep with no after effects that I notice.  Been on it for two years.  There are withdrawl (withdrawal) strategies on internet - some suggest using melatonin and 5mg Ambien and slowly taper off the Ambien....  good luck.
I take it also but my ins. pretty much insists on the generic Zolpidem.  It doesn't work nearly as well as it did when I started it 8 or 10 yrs ago andwent from Ambien to the generic.  For awhile it was ok, then it seemed like the strength changed.  I was wondering if any of you feel the generics are leaving something out or if they seem too mild and don't work nearly as well as the name brand Ambien?  
i've been taking ambien for 11+ years without going one night without it.  I'm going into day 6. tonight and I feel great. I think I can help others. Please read my post (dale49). If you have a question I will answer it. Thanks, Dale.
So dale, did you quit cold turkey?  I tried that....didn't work.  So you must be taking some supplement?  Please...enlighten me!  I would like to get off of it for good.  I always end up going back to it.  It is the only thing i have ever taken that has actually made me sleep.  But I just don't think it is good for me.