Heart Disease Expert Forum
angina and syncope

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

angina and syncope

Dear Doctors,
  Thanks for all your help for everyone here on the bboard. I read all posts and information on angina via the search option as wellas on syncope, but......
  1.
  Is it possible at all to faint due to angina caused by coronary spasms?
  2.
  Are these spasms dangerous?
  3.
  Should it be treated?
  4.
  It is for the first time that I amalsosuffering from (near) syncope during the spasms. I also have a pacer but it works fine.
  5.
  Don't laugh, but can the spasms also be caused by eating something very cold like icecream?
  Thanks for your help!!
  Mariette

_

Dear Mariette
1. Yes.
2. If you are in fact having coronary artery spasm leading to fainting, that is a life-threatening condition.
3. Absolutely.
4. Bring this to the attention of your doctor immediately.
5. Doubtful, if it is coronary artery spasm.
I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.