Heart Disease Expert Forum
angina spray and aneurysms

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

angina spray and aneurysms

Hi there was wondering if anyone can help does taking nitro-glycerine  spray sublingually for angina increase your risk of developing a brian aneurysm as i am worried by the headaches i get when i take it and because it dilates the blood vessels in the brain i am worried it could lead to aneuryms forming as their is a slight family history of them,can anyone tell me the risk from using the spray.
paolo,

Thanks for the post. NTG is a very important drug in the treatment of cardiac pain. Headache is a common side effect of using nitro.

To alleviate your concerns, NTG spray itself will not cause aneurysms. Further, nitroglycerin tends to be more of a venodilator which actually will decrease cerebral blood flow as it decreases blood pressure.

good luck

I had the nitro pill experience once.  I don't know if it cured my chest pain or I just forgot about it because my head hurt so bad ;)  No, seriously though, it did work (I was having an esophageal spasm).  I asked the exact same question in the ER that night, wondering if taking the pill had caused something to go wrong in my head (I was shocked how bad it hurt, and I've got some decent tolerance).  The nurse assured me it was causing no harm to my head or brain.
"Tylenol really is like throwing a rock at Godzilla."

Very well stated, lol

"Oddly, I'm one of the minority that get some migraine relief from a light dose of long acting nitro."

I wonder if it's the steady effect on the vessels, since my father and grandmother, both long-time severe migraine sufferers, never had another one after their bypass surgeries and subsequent medication regimens.
A related discussion, Aneurysms and taking nitro was started.