Heart Disease Expert Forum
angina

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

angina
I was prescribed nitroglycerine for chest pain, even though I wasn't definitively diagnosed with cardiovascular disease.  The thing is, when I have chest pain, it works.  Does this mean that cardiovascular disease is the cause of my pain?  The pain also goes down my left arm, up the left side of the neck, and into the left jaw.  I am 53, 300 lbs., and have been diabetic for 15 years.  I don't have health insurance so there is very little I can do to get health care.
You can never definitively state that you have coronary artery disease (blockage in the arteries around your heart) without the appropriate testing though I would be very concerned that this could be causing your pain given that the description of your discomfort and it relief with nitro along with your risk factors (diabetes). I know it is very difficult to get health care without insurance though I would recommend attempting to see a doctor (primary or cardiologist) and discuss these symptoms. They can often set you up to see a financial councilor that can help you see if you qualify for things like medicaid/medicare and, if not, can set up payment plans, etc.