Heart Disease Expert Forum
another ? about normal echo

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

another ? about normal echo

Thanks for your response to my question about how my sons echo was normal after two abnormal ekgs. I still do not understand if this normal echo means that the ekg abnormalities are nothing or it just means that there is in fact thickening and some impulses coming from wrong area but not enough to effect function. I just wonder why one test says there is a problem and the other shows totally normal function. Thanks again.
Dear kelly,
In general the echocardiogram (echo) is more reliable than the electrocardiogram (ECG) when it comes to questions concerning the size or thickness of the heart.  So if "left ventricular hypertrophy" or "increased wall thickness" was supected on the ECG but not seen on the echo then the ECG was wrong and there are no abnormalities.  

For electrical problems however such as fast heart rhythms or extra beats the ECG is the only way to diagnosis these conditions.  The echo does not 'see' electrical signals and therefore is not useful in making electrical diagnoses. The only way to diagnosis rhythm problems is with electrical tracings such as those recorded with an ECG, Holter monitor, or event recorder.   Hope this clarifies things for you.
How about a normal reading on echo but have concentric left ventricle hypertrophy.

My thicknesses were normal but the diagnosis is the above.  There must be something more to these diagnosis.

I figure since my stuff was normal but I have CLVH this must signify another condition which the doctor is not putting down. This was diagnosed by echo........