Heart Disease Expert Forum
antibiotics

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

antibiotics
I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy (yuck).  I have mital valve prolapse and also take sectral for svt.  Have had a couple of afibs that stop on their own.  Last one was in May.  The nurse asked if I took antibiotics before the dentist which I said "no." But I haven't been to the dentist since my diagnosis so the subject actually never came up.  Do I need to take antibiotics before this procedure?  Thanks.
It depends on whether you really do have significant mitral valve prolapse or not. Check with the doctor that made that diagnosis - not everyone that carries the diagnosis of MVP needs antibiotics.