anxiety vs blood pressure
I've co-existed with anxiety for approxiamately 5 years, the anxiety is always about a health related issue which could shorten my life. Don't know where my phobia arose about taking my blood pressure but just the thought of taking it brings on a rush of adrenalin, symptoms include shakey legs, arms and an overwhelming fear/dread of death. I own an electric blood pressure machine but hadn't take it in over a year until that is last Sunday, apart from 3 readings of 139/89 either whilst asleep or first thing in the morning most sit between 160/104 to 197/123. Went to my doctor and he thinks its 'white coat syndrome' he said he wants to treat my anxiety not my blood pressure. Ive only had 2 anxiety attacks this year and dont want to go on medication for it. He's sending me for an ECG, 24 BP monitor (which i know i'll be anxious about) and bloods but my anxiety is getting the better of me, eating into every aspect of my life, I cant think of anything but my blood pressure. Im just 36 years old, male, never smoked dont drink with a BMI of 26 and play football 3 times a week. Any advise would be much appreciated........
wow , ive been where you are at. first i can say anxiety will shoot your bp way up there i know this because i to have white coat, i do that mine at home and most the time its very low but when i get up-set/anxiety about something its out of control like 188/95  or worse so yes yes  anxiety can cause this. i to had the 24 hour its nothing ,you go inthe put a bp montor on your arm it has a little box that records your bp i think every 30 mins for 24 hours. its a pain to wear around but it will let them know what its running, you can not see after the first reading what it is and thats a good thing so you wont stress . you will have to stop doing whatever your doing so it can read it. plus do your reg everyday thing if you work go, dont stop because it will not be a true reading if all you do is sit at home, need be active so they can tell what your bp does throught your day.  so dont be stressed about that its easy. ecg not sure what that is unless its a echo, if so its so easy to you just lay there they look at your heart with a little wand, like a ultur sound machine. so thoese tesst are very easy and no stress with them. bp isvery easy to control if its realy high. eat better  execrise  meds . plz keep in touch with what dr says and try and relax