Heart Disease Expert Forum
aortic dissection-prognosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

aortic dissection-prognosis

I am 40 years old and have a type a and b dissection with dacron replacement for the upper aorta and remain dissected down to my femoral arteries and have since dissected up various arteries like my carotids and renal etc...any ways...my question is i'm 12 years post surgery and although i have had various other arteries dissect i just don't really understand my prognosis ..originally they said 5-10 years if i was lucky and here it is 12 years...and i think time MUST be running out but it just seems to keep on going ...like the energizer bunny...get knocked down ..get back up and keep going...i guess overall ..would it be thought i'm more stable or less stable given the time that has gone by??
I would say that since you have outlived the predictions, this is a good sign. Besides the surgeries, you have undoubtedly been placed on good medical therapy such as beta blockers, and this has forestalled the progression of your disease. The best thing you can do is to follow your medical regiment religiously, and be alert for the development of symptoms which may represent a new dissection in order to seek urgent medical assistance.
-8 Comments
yes i have been on atenelol and diovan-hct for a number of years now but i would still have to think logically that time is ticking and going to run out.  I keep dissecting despite the medications and within the last year or two i have developed vpc's runs of them and am way more tired than ever before and it is concerning because i don't know if it is because of the heart health issues or if it is because ...well i'm just getting older.  I'm not over weight, relatively active and eat normally....any suggestions?
A related discussion, Post Aortic Dissection Fatigue Prevention was started.