Heart Disease Community
aortic dissection

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

aortic dissection

Hi, my husband who is 32 years old had a dissenting aortic dissection in October. He had a very very slim chance of making it and he did.  He had 2 eight hour surgeries and survived them.  He had no blood flow for 5 days down the right side causing him to lose his kidney, part of intestines and almost lost his leg! he was in ICU for 2 and half weeks and just kept having things go wrong.  Afterward his incision got infected and he put in the hospital another week for surgery to remove the infection, which went in his blood stream too. But here we are 3 months later and he is still so weak. It is hard for him to do much, he never used to sweat and he does so bad just sitting down. He has a hard time walking or doing any activity.  Also, he has bad spasms in his right leg it jumps all over when he is sleeping at night.  He also is super sensitive I can not touch that leg, it feels weird and he has spots of numbness in spots on his leg. We have no idea what is normal after such a horrible life changing event like he went through. He lost 3 weeks of his life, he can not remember that week leading up to the dissection. Also, his dad died of exact same thing when he was only 32 years old, scary. It does run in the family. We have two little girls also 9 and 6 and I worry so much about them. I'm scared of this happening again, please help us.