Heart Disease Expert Forum
aortic valve and bypass surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

aortic valve and bypass surgery

I have been told to have 5 arteries bypassed plus aortic valve replacement.  Color flow  was mild aortic insufficiency.  By Doppler, the peak gradient across the valve was 55 mmHg.  Mean gradient  34mmHg.The aortic valve area is 0.8-0.9. My ejection fraction is 60-65%  Aortic root 2.5cm. IMPRESSION - Aortic sclerosis with thickening and calcification of the leaflets with mild aortic insufficiency and moderate aortic stenosis. The cardiologist estimated it to moderally serve. I have had symtoms (symptoms) for 4 years exercising - chest squeezing/pressure, jaw pain- Use  nitro patch- gotten worse and I am unable to go the speeds I use to do- get symtoms (symptoms) not exercising at times.  Use the nito pill with the patch when exercising.  I have experienced in the last 10 months different symptoms such as fullness in chest,
save,

Its impossible to comment on the neccessity for something as complex as open heart surgery without looking over all of your data in detail. Generally, symptoms are associated with a significant increase in mortality without intervention in the disease process of aortic stenosis. If you are hesitant, a formal second opinion might help you ease yyour fears. The Cleveland Clinic has excellent cardiolgist that specializes in aortic valve disease that would be glad to see you in consultation. There is also an internet consult service through the CCF website.

good luck
1 Comment
A related discussion, aorta surgery was started.