appetite loss after surgery
My 77-year-old, previously robust and vigorous father (who would routinely bike 20 miles a day) had bypass and valve-replacement surgery nine weeks ago.  Ten days after that, he underwent cardiac arrest and went back into surgery to remove pericardial fluid and repair his sternum.  Two weeks later, still in the hospital, he had to have his gall bladder removed.  He was in the hospital for a total of six weeks, much of it flat on his back, and was under general anaesthetic four times.  In the three weeks since being discharged, he has continued to eat very little, despite my mother and I trying every trick in the book.  He is down to 125 pounds, 30 to 35 pounds under his pre-surgery weight.   Are there any novel approaches to getting more nutrition into him?

He is currently taking amiodarone, Norvasc, Lopressor, and Lisinopril, as well as Nexium and Mirapex (for restless legs -- something I've tried to get him to skip, but his torment from that condition is so intense that he's afraid to stop it).  Two weeks ago, he had been started on Levaquin for possible pneumonia, and that had a horrible effect on him -- weakness, tremors, insomnia, hallucinations, a trance-like state with wild movements -- and  a total loss of appetite.  That was stopped, and he improved, but when he was started on amoxicillin, the appetite again went from poor to zero.  Now he's off that, but he says he just can't physically eat more than he is eating, which I estimate to be something less than 1000 calories a day.  Any suggestions you might have would be very welcome -- we're very worried.