Heart Disease Expert Forum
arm pain while jogging and more...

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

arm pain while jogging and more...

For my entire life I've actually noticed this but never gave it much thought as it was quite infrequent... the last 10 months it's gradually worsened. It would always be the right arm. The last 6 months it will spread to the left and cause shortness of breath of I just keep going and ignore it.

I've had a calcium CT scan done with a 256 slice scanner which showed a score of "1" .. I'm 32 and my cholesterol and triglicerides (triglycerides) have always been excellent ( 69 HDL, 65 LDL, 50 TRIG) ... My blood pressure when tested manually by doctors tends to be around 118/70 and when tested with automated machines is more like 130/85 for whatever reason. Every time. My heart rate gets really high easily while exercising, which the doctor who did my stress echo noted (up to 175+ bpm) but wasn't that concerned about. My blood pressure during this test didn't seem to bother him. My heart rate recovery was good, and he described my heart as well conditioned.

The stress echo showed "moderate aortic insufficiency with no stenosis" and a biscupid aortic valve.. the regurgitation did not worsen with exertion, it was steady and consistent. He said he wanted to see me again in "under a year" for another echo.

Could this pain be caused by high blood pressure? It seems worse during times when I am anxious, and I have had anxiety because I have had these symptoms gradually worsen and I've always been into cardio. A vicious cycle of sorts. Could the regurgitation be causing symptoms? I notice I don't tolerate weight lifting well and will get various symptoms days afterward and the bounding pulse will get worse afterwards.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello dissident,

it is hard to give you an accurate answer without looking at your echocardiogram and meeting you personally but I can give you some helpful pointers.
From your description, you have a congenital anomaly of the aortic valve which might lead to valvular disorders like yours (aortic insufficiency).
Your symptoms of chest discomfort are aytpical and may not be something that is reflective of heart disease. That being said, you do have moderate leakage of an important valve that needs to be closely followed.
Bicuspid aortic valves are often associated with dilation of the aorta, which could sometimes be the cause of chest discomfort. Although you do not talk about it in your report, this might be something worth looking into.
You might consider seeking opinion from a center that specializes in the treatment of aortic diseases for a structured follow up plan.

Hope that helps.
I also have a split S1, something I noticed myself with a stethoscope I purchased online. Doctor confirmed it but did not give an explanation and did not seem concerned by it. It will vary depending on whether I'm inhaling or exhaling.