Heart Disease Expert Forum
arrythmia and increased urine output - a connection?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

59 yo male.  Since a cardiac problem (about a year ago) I have been on quality plant based diet (no animal products), so get plenty of fiber.  This has kept my TC < 150 and LDL < 70. Checkup about two months ago with urologist was fine - digital exam good, and PSA OK (under 1.5 as usual).   I am on coreg (6mg  2x/d), effient, and aspirin for cardiac reasons.   My weight is normal and I exercise moderately.  I have two stents from last sept in RCA  Last ejection fraction several months ago was 45% - I had an MI or acute mypopathy which damage the left side of my heart.  

about a month ago I started waking at night and having to urinate and often with a bowel movement.  I am not sure which actually woke me, although a number of times my waking corresponded to a rapid heart rate or flutter - I have had this (flutter) on and off for months during the night (usually on waking episode), but rarely during the day.  Prior to this I never woke at night to urinate. This has persisted now for over a month..  During the day I urinate more frequently also..   Flow is good and volume adequate if standing, but significantly diminished when sitting. My bowel movements are now often small and hard and dark and require a little effort even though I often go twice a day due to my diet.   My beverage habits have not changed - I drink a lot of tea and have a couple of beers or glasses of wine in the evening.  

I have noticed that the flesh under my large toenails is darker (almost purplish) and was concerned about lack of oxygen.  I see no blueness in my feet or anywhere else, including hand or tips of fingers.  No swelling anywhere that I can see.    

I am wondering if something is causing a fluid imbalance with less fluid in colon (causing the hard stools) and more going to bladder increasing urine output and how this could be connected to my heart condition.  

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

pete
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Based upon the medical history and symptoms you describe, I do not see a correlation between your cardiac history and the change in stools. (In general, cardiac processes generally do not cause hard stools, and you do not describe any medications that would cause this symptom either).

However, when people have episodes of congestive heart failure, fluid can build up in the body, sometimes to the point where urine output is effected (usually people urinate less frequently). Given your history of heart disease, change in urine, as well as a concern for cyanosis (purplish toenails), I would recommend visiting your internist or cardiologist. While you have given me much of your information, your fluid status is something that can really only be determined via a good physical exam.

I would also bring up the issue of the heart flutters at that time. It is not uncommon to see arrhythmias in the setting of a weaker heart, and it may be reasonable to order a test (such as a holter monitor) to figure out exactly what these flutters are.