Heart Disease Expert Forum
atenolol

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

atenolol

The question I am posing is the same question that DavidX asked in 2005 concerning the side effects of atenolol. Your panel did not give a conclusive answer to his question as to possible memory less due to usage of this drug. So, I am asking this same question again. Is there memory loss due to usage of this drug? I have had a prescription for atenolol for the past ten years to control blood pressure. And, I am experiencing some minor memory loss. I will not give my age because that may give you a reason for attributing memory loss to some other reason. I have researched another similar drug called propanolol which was used in an experiment to control the emotional effects of painful memories. What is the data on the long term usage of atenolol?
I don't think atenolol can usually cause memory loss. It is less lipophilic than propranolol and is excreted by the kidneys besides.
I been on atenolol 100mg daily in divided doses for years now, plus quite a bit of other medications I',m 45 and I used to have a phenomenal memory , but my memory is very poor for the last 3 years, its almost embarrassing I can be having a conversation and actually have to ask the other person/s would we were discussing, I don't if its the atenolol but I know oothers on atenolol with similar experiences of course thats a small price to pay for the benefits i get from it in my opinion.