Heart Disease Expert Forum
atrial fib/flutter cardio excersize
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

atrial fib/flutter cardio excersize

My atrial flutter trigger seems to be when I excersize and increase my heart rate. When it exceeds 95 I (not always)go into fib or flutter. I have a long history of fib/flutter and am in sinus rythm most of the time. Is it beneficial as cardio excersize to do long slow excersize where I maintain a slow rate?
Related Discussions
1621443_tn?1299329512
orrisdarl,

Atrial fibrillation can be quite unpredictable but it is certainly possible that exercise may precipitating it. Of note, it is also possible to get yourself out of atrial fibrillation by exercising and increasing your heart rate to the point that it overrides the atrial fibrillation.

There is really no scientifically based answer to your question. There is no heart rate threshold that once your cross your odds of going into atrial fibrillation increase; however, exercise is an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If exercise is precipitating frequent atrial fibrillation, instead of focusing on avoiding exercise or limiting your heart rate, I would work with your physician on improving your control of atrial fibrillation. There are multiple medications that can help reduce the incidence of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (sotolol, dofetilide, amiodarone, etc). Catheter based ablation can be used for patients who fail medical therapy.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity