Heart Disease Expert Forum
atrial fibrilation and sudden high blood pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have recently had three episodes of atrial fibrillation. All three times the atrial fib came on suddenly while I was resting. AT the time, my systolic blood pressure shot up to over 200 and the diastolic between 90 and 110.  I can't breathe and I feel sweaty and disoriented.  REcently I noticed when I try to sleep, I often have  ringing in my ears and I can feel pulsing in the tips of my fingers.  I'm on an event monitor now for one month, but I am concerned that the sudden rise in blood pressure could give me a stroke.  Could you please comment on the possible cause of this, I as understand that atrial fib usually causes blood pressure to drop or remain normal. My blood pressure slowly drops back to normal after the 'event', but then may rise abruptly and fall abruptly shortly after the event.
BD,

Thanks for your intriguing question.

I would propose to you that the blood pressure surge is leading to the afib, rather than the opposite timing.  The episodes you have while trying to sleep sound like symptoms of uncontrolled hypertension.  I would consider talking to your doctor about an ambulatory blood pressure monitor.

Hope that helps.
I am so sorry to interupt this question.  I want to post a question but can't.  It is always full.  What time can I post?   Sorry again for this rude interuption.
Do you have high blood pressure?

I don't know if Afib can cause high blood pressure but perhaps if your body knows it's coming on, it reacts that way. Totally my thoughts, I am by no means a person in the medical field.

I do know that high blood pressure can trigger Afib. My 16 year old son has a slightly elevated (top number) sitting blood pressure but upon activity his bp sky rockets. Blood pressure does go high during activity but his is higher than that range. Anyway, tests are showing his activity level bp is producing Afib.

While I don't think I have answered all of your questions, perhaps this helps.

Good luck to you!
I believe the doctor is onto something here.  I have noticed this situation in myself and believe there is a coorelation.  I'd do something about the high blood pressure and the monitoring of the blood pressure would seem to be a good tool to confirm this hypothesis.