Heart Disease Expert Forum
atrial flutter, tachydysrhythmias, Rythmol

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I'm 50 with long history of what was just diagnosed 3 mos ago by Holter as atypical atrial flutter, atril fib & tachycardia. Cardiologist said printout looked like 80-yr-old with multiple heart attacks.  HR ranged 43-212. When asked how serious it was, he said, "If it hasn't killed you yet, you probably won't die from it."  Chest x-ray, echo, adenosine cardiolete and cardiac catheterization are ok.  But treadmill showed atrial flutter with 2:1 block slow to resolve in recovery with intermittent runs of aberrantly conducted beats.  Referred to Electrophysiologist who prescribed Cardizem, Rythmol & aspirin & said my condition is nothing to worry about. So why do I have to take Rythmol, which according to PDR should be given only for serious, life-threatening arrhythmias?  Do I need to take another treadmill to determine if Rythmol is really effective?  Since I need to lose 30 lbs, what level & type of exercise is good?  My drs offer no guidelines & I've been afraid to exercise for fear of inducing arrhythmias.  Is it important to know cause of arrhythmias; is heart mapping appropriate for me?  Thanks.

Rhythmol can be used even for arrhythmia that are not life-threatening. It would be reasonable to repeat the stress test on the Rhythmol to see if it is working. I would do this first, before recommending a specific exercise regimen.
Regarding your weight loss, I might consult "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution". Atkins is a cardiologist, and claims great results for heart patients.
A lot of cardiologists and nutritionists I know are skeptical about the long term efficacy and safety of that diet.
I am aware of the continuing debate about the safety of the Atkins (and related high-protein) diets. Certainly, I would never suggest that one eat in such a way in the long term. However, two respected internists, one a long time friend of mine, and one a relative, and my family doctor, have all opined that they think an overall reduction in carbohydrate intake is an excellent way to control weight. Relatives and friends who have used the diet in the short term show weight loss, decreased blood sugar levels, decreased triglycerides, and reduced bad cholesterol. After reaching their weight reduction goals, they have been able to add return complex to their diets at alevel that allows them to maintain their desired weight, blood work results, and eat a balanced diet.

Let's face it: the Atkins credo of butter-soaked steak with hollandaise is not the way to go in the long term. But it does point out that high consumption of complex carbohydrates is significantly responsible for the fattening of America.
I agree that processed foods high in carbohydrates do contribute to obesity. However, I do not think the solution would be to substitute a diet that is high in meat, even in the short term.
Does losing weight (20 lbs+) help decrease the chances of arrythmias?
Not directly. But maintaining an ideal body weight is good for the overall health of the heart.