Heart Disease Community
atrial flutter and atrial Fib/Lexiscan study

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Hello,  I had a question about my stress test results.  My family doctor called me two days after my scan to tell me they were referring me to my cardiologist.  I was admitted 4 yrs ago for what was concluded as false positive troponin levels and abnormal EKG. My heart rate also has run 100 to 110 most of my adult life.  I am 46 and have a very heavy family history of lots of heart disease.  I was advised to have this nuclear stress test because of an episode I had during a 5 k run 3 weeks agao.  I should call it a walk because my stamina to run is honestly not very good but I tried and in doing so, I developed a sharp pain in the left side of my head after running for about 2 min.  I stopped and continued walking and it subsided. I had three other run attempts where the same thing occured and then subsided during the 5k  Thus, I was sent over for a stress test.  My question is about my results.  I was told that it showed atrial flutter and atrial fib.  The results are:
1. "EKG demonstrated a very narrow !-wave in the inferolateral region.  The patient has evidence of left ventricular hypertrophy electrocardiographically.  The patient developed significant downsloping ST.  The patient went into atrial flutter with 2:1  AB block at 153 BPM during Lexiscan infusion and then converted back into regular rhythm.  She did develop, subsequently, downsloping in the inferior region.
2.  No evidence of reversible myocardial ischemia. Mild defect seen over the anterior region, both on the stress as well as the resting images, likely rpresenting breast artifact.  Ejection fraction 64%".

I was wondering if these results are really any more abnormal then the average.  I always hear about abnormal EKG's that really are not that abnormal.  I am just curious as what to expect once I see the cardiologist.
Thank you.
My apologies for the typo.. that should have read "narrow Q wave" in my above post
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The stress shows atrial flutter and fibrillation, this with the left ventricular hypertrophy may point towards a pathology with the mitral valve. An ECHO may help to evaluate the valves. The basic cause for the atrial flutter and fibrillation and the left ventricular hypertrophy needs to be dealt with. So, don't worry and discuss this with your cardiologist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.