Heart Disease Expert Forum
atrial septal aneurysm/ LVEDd

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

atrial septal aneurysm/ LVEDd

My echocardiogram says that there is evidence of intra atrial septal aneurysm, and that if clinically indicated suggest TEE. It also says that the Left ventricular internal dimension is mildly enlarged (5.6) with normal systolic function and normal ejection fraction of 73 %. I did another echo with bubble study, and the technician said it was positive. i did not get the results of my second echo yet. i will be doing a TEE echo soon.

I'm not worried about my septal aneurysm/PFO as much as I am about LVEDd enlargement. what makes a LVEDd become enlarged?

Im 20 years old and asymptomatic.
Why did you have the echo done?  ASAs are not uncommon and I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you had symptoms of a mini-stroke or shortness of breath on exertion.  About a third of the population has a PFO and it's benign in most cases.  I wouldn't even have a TEE if I were you.  It isn't going to tell us anything new.  Not sure why you had the echo to begin with if you are asymptomatic.  The LVD is just slightly enlarged.  Also not very concerning with preserved heart function and with normal valves.  The TEE won't help much with that at all.  Again, I would not recommend a TEE at this point.  I don't think there is any need to get it done.  
My physician heard a slight heart murmur during a regular physical check up. he didn't recommend doing an echo, but i insisted on it. I did the echo and was then referred to a cardiologist. I did an EKG and my cardiologist told me to take 81 aspirin a day until he sees the echo tape himself. He confirmed the presence of ASA and gave me the option of doing an echo with bubble study or a TEE so that they rule out the presence of a PFO.  I chose to do an echo with bubble study. I'll be seeing my cardiologist this month to discuss the results with him. I was just worried about the elevated LVEDd in my age.

Thank you very much for you response.