Heart Disease Expert Forum
atrial tachycardia
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
atrial tachycardia
Posted By kim on April 08, 1999 at 10:08:30:

You gave me a general answer to a previous question regarding atrial tachycardia.  could you help me with the following?
I first had a problem 6 years ago when I was admitted to hospital with a heart rate of 160/180 resting.  I had all sorts of treatment, ecg, shock treatment, antibiotics, drugs but none of them slowed the rate down.  I stayed in itu for two days and then after 4 days they let me out.  my heart rate slowed down eventually.  for 3 months after I took propanolol.  since then I have had recurring palpatations.  some much worse than others.  after seeing my doctor so may times, being prescribed various things, including anti-depressents i went private and saw a different cardiologist.  i wore a monitor to record the palpitations when they actually happened. now they tell me i suffer with atrial tachycardia which i know is ageneral term for this.  they cannot give me a precicse term only that they are not fatal. just persistant.
could you tell me do certain things set them off?  i do feel that my monthly cycle affects them.  are they likely to disappear as quickly as they came?  or will i have them for the rest of my life?  
i now take atenolol 50mg in the morning and 50mg in the evening.  they make me feel awful.  really tired, sick, breathing is dificult sometimes. i dont think i could take them for the rest of my life.  could stress play a big part?  does alcohol effect them i know coffee does.
i feel life has been such a struggle for the last five years, i would just like to feel normal again.  after all i am only 36 and still have a good few years like left in me.
is atrial tachycardia the same as atrial fibrillation?
i look forward to your reply
thank you
kim

Discussion is closed
Cancel
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
A
A
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank