Heart Disease Community
baby aspirin before angiogram???

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

baby aspirin before angiogram???

I had my pre-op appointment today in preparation for the angiogram that I'm having this coming Friday and I was told to start taking baby aspirin from now until Friday as if they have to put in stents they wouldn't do them unless I've been taking baby aspirin, does this make sense?  What I was told is that apparently if you take baby aspirin your body will be prepared for the stents and not reject them?  Not sure about this, if anyone has any other info please let me know.

I'm going to take them anyway as I don't want them to see that I do have a blockage and go back at another date for the stents if they can do them right there and then.

Thanks!

I recently went in (New Years Eve....) due to chest pain and heart disease in family.....I did not have a heart attack, yet the ER doctors admitted me and the surgeon did an angiogram the next day.  

I had 4 baby asprins while I was in the ER, and then when I was admitted, they gave me two shots in the stomach (a blod thinner), before I went under for the angiogram.  There was about 24 hours lapse time since the ER and the angiogram.

I doubt I answered your question about the stents taking or not.  I can at lest tell you they did have me on blood thinners. Which is what baby asprin will do.

I can also tell the angiogram was pretty quick and painless, and my prayers are with you that all turns out well.
Thanks for your reply, did you have to have stents put in?

Yeah - I'm still not sure why they are prescribing the aspirin but I'm taking it just in case...

Pretty nervous about the angio but I'm hoping it will give me some releive to all that I've been having.

Thank you for your prayers.

No I did not have any stents put in or angioplasty done.  However, I do have plaque buildup, one artery being 50 percent in size, so the damage is there and a lifestyle change needs to happen now.

Regardelss of what they find in you, at least you will know how your heart is doing.  Trust me about being anxious.  I was son anxious, that I made them give me a xanax, and that helped alot!!!!

But now I know, and knowing that I am that guy that is developing blockage, I need to drastically change.

Good luck to you, and FYI, I will be taking 2 baby asprins a day from here on out.  Dr. Orders....so according to the Dr. the benefit outweighs any risks involved. :)