Heart Disease Expert Forum
baby's heart surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

baby's heart surgery

My daughter was born with several holes in the heart. The paedetrician cardiologist termed it as "Complete AV Septal reject". She is now 9 months old and I have been advised that this is the time for surgery. Surgery should be done before she turns one. Her heart (right side) is enlarged. She is currently on medication 1) Digoxin (0.6ml) 2) Lasix (0.2ml) 3) Potassium Chloride (1.5ml). Items (2)

She only weighs about 6kgs, she can't sit up on her own and has not start crawling. She has difficulty breathing while being bottle fed, pausing to catch her breath.

The surgeon informed us that the objective and expected outcome of the surgery would be :
1) To repair / close up the septum (ASD
2) To get the left valve functional - till as little leak
as possible.
3) Right valve will continue to leak (tissues from right valve
will be used to repair the left valve)
4) 1-2% risk of complete heart block (pacemaker needed if heart
rate <60/min)
We were also warned that leaking from the left valve will increase over time, even after surgery. One or more surgeries will be necessary.
Please kindly advise whether is there really no better outcome from surgery to correct my daughter's heart defects besides what was given above by the surgeon in Singapore? We are wondering perhaps they have not reached the sort of expertise in this field of surgery.
I would really appreciate your second opinion and whether there are other things we should know or have misunderstood. What is the success rate of surgery for babies with this kind of problems?
We would also like to know how much surgery like this will cost at Cleveland hospital and how long the patient will have to be admitted after surgery. How long will it take to heal after the operation. Can my daughter have a normal lifestyle after surgery, ie have kids, exercise...etc.

I really look forward to your response and advise.

Thanks - Gene