Heart Disease Community
back spasms in correlation to heart condition

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

My father is 71 yrs old and for the last 2 weeks he has had severe back spasm move up his back.  My father has congestive heart failure and diabetes.  Both cartoid arteries in his neck are blocked and unoperable.  They previously had a stent placed and the blockage is to far into the brain to operate.  I know he will stroke one day but as he is getting slower and the valve in his heart is almost ten years old I am worried that these are warning symptoms of something
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be cardiac pain, referred to the back. The other causes for the pain could be renal colic,  infections of the bowel, prolapsed intervertebral disc or inflammatory diseases of the colon. Only a consultation with your primary care physician can help diagnose.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you.  I just got back from Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.  I had an angiogram and I did not speak to the Dr. afterwards.  The Doctor spoke with my husband and told him I had small vessels spasms.  I have no idea what that is.  I did contacted his office and was told the Dr.  will call me back next week.  I did go to Cleveland Clinic to get my pulmonary artery pressure check but the Dr. did not do that.  I hope he has a reason why he did not check my pulmonary artery for pulmonary hypertention.  I also wanted answers about my valves (3) reguritation and my right atrium and right ventricular being mildly dilated.  I did not get the answer.  I'm sure he has his reasons.  I did go home with a event monitor to wear for 30 days.
Thank you for your time.  DenTek
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Artery spasms and cardiac pain could relate to Prinzmetal's angina, or coronary artery spasm, which is chest pain due to severe coronary artery spasm. It is the rarest type of angina and can occur in people without coronary heart disease. Take Care.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.