Heart Disease Community
bicuspid aortic and high blood pressure

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

bicuspid aortic and high blood pressure

Can having a bicuspid aortic valve insufficiancy effect ones blood pressure. Im in great shape but my blood pressure fluctuates from around 125/60 to 163/60.
High blood pressure can be detrimental to bicuspid aortic valve insufficiency (the syndrome  effects the valve, root and aorta).
Another important fact is the aorta of patients with bicuspid aortic valve is not normal. The aorta of a patient with a bicuspid aortic valve does not have the same histological characteristics of a normal aorta. The tensile strength is reduced. These patients are at a higher risk for aortic dissection and aneurysm formation of the ascending aorta. The size of the proximal aorta should be evaluated carefully during the work-up. The initial diameter of the aorta should be noted and periodic evaluation with CT scan (every year or sooner if there is a change in aortic diameter) should be recommended. Therefore, if the patient needs surgery, the size of the aorta will determine what type of surgery should be offered to the patient. Additionally, patients with bicuspid aortic valve are at higher risk of aortic coarctation, an abnormal narrowing of the thoracic aorta.
Everything kenkeith said is true.  And yes, aortic valve insufficiency can make your blood pressure go higher.  Higher blood pressure is one of the compensating mechanisms that the body develops to cope with the valve backflow.  Then, the higher blood pressure makes the valve deteriorate faster.  So it is a vicious cycle.  If the valve gets bad enough, the only way to interrupt that vicious cycle (and save your life) is surgery.  

When my blood pressure was like yours, I still had several years left until I needed surgery, though.  Keep up the monitoring of your condition.  You want to have surgery before there is any permanent damage to your heart or other organs.  Keeping track of your blood pressure might be one way of monitoring the valve, at least indirectly.  When the blood pressure gets to a certain point, then something will have to be done.  

Until I had my surgery, antihypertensive medication did not help me.  You may be lucky and be more responsive to antihypertensive medication than I was, and if so, that is a good thing.  If you can control your blood pressure with medication and healthy lifestyle, then you may be able to slow down the deterioration of the valve and its surrounding tissues.  

As long as you can reasonably delay surgery, delay is good.  Surgical techniques are getting better all the time, so if you can wait, then the surgeons may be doing more advanced things by the time you get there.  Just don't delay too long.  Remember, the key is avoiding permanent damage.  Find a good cardiologist who will give you wise advice about when to see a surgeon.