Heart Disease Expert Forum
birth related? drug related? stress?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

birth related? drug related? stress?

I am a female ,21 years old, 100 pounds 5'2".
  When I was born, my mother was told to watch me for a few days
  to see if I turned yellow. I didn't.
  My main concern is that I was recently told that i have a heart palpitation.
  I wonder if this has anything to do with childbirth.
  I have also been smoking for three years(1/2 pack a day ave.) I have been stressed out lately
  and have problems breathing, tightness in the chest and i never feel like i can get enough oxygen.
  I breathe mostly out of my mouth. I tried cocaine about 2 months ago.  I have been tired, depressed,
  and have stomach pains frequently.
  i have alos been stressed lately and wonder if that is all that it is.
  i also had 2 root canals and tooth surgery in the last 2 -3 years.
  am i looking in the right place?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Nicole:
It sounds like you have several complex issues going on in your life. Stress can certainly cause all sorts of symptoms.  I cannot say if your symptoms are due solely to stress or something else.  I would suggest you make an appointment to see your family physician.
In the meantime, I would suggest that you stop smoking and absolutely stop cocaine.  Smoking will lead to heart disease over years; cocaine can kill you from a single use. In addition, both tobacco and cocaine can cause palpitations.  Alcohol, caffeine and stress can also cause palpitations.
Again, with everything you describe, such as the depression, I think you ought to make an appointment to see your doctor soon.
I hope this is useful.  Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is for informational purposes.  Only your personal physician can provide specific diagnoses and treatments.  If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at Desk F25.