Heart Disease Community
blood clot in heart

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

blood clot in heart

Approximately 2.5 years ago, I was diagnosed with a blood clot in the right atrium of my heart.  Its size was 2.5 cm by 3.5 cm.  I have had numerous echocardiograms and had basically been told it had taken up residence and I was going to have to live with it, and live with coumadin therapy for the rest of my life.  Today, after my echo, the doctor said the clot was gone.  Should I have another test done? Or, should I just take the doctors word for it?  What is the probability of a clot disappearing after 2.5 years?
Coumadin therapy does not dissolve a blood clot, but it can prevent future clots. However, a clot may dissolve on its own. Exactly, over time, the body will usually dissolve at least some of the clot. I don't have a reference for size and time, but it can/will happen.

An echo contrast has a sensitivity rating of about 90%
it may have dissolved as most of them will do, have you been told to take blood thinners and other meds?
I would take that as a praise report myself.  Do you have any symptoms that would make you feel otherwise?
Why does your doctor recommend coumadin therapy?  The medication requires close monitoring. But it is sometimes the preferred mediation for heart patients that have an EF below 35%.

I can see that coumadin would stop the existing clot growing, but I doubt if it would shrink it. This would require a Thrombolytic Agent which is a whole different type of drug. As Kenkeith says, Coumadin requires blood tests to measure the blood clotting ability, the timing. Too much coumadin and you risk bleeding in the brain, too little and you still clot quickly. I should think 2.5 years is more than enough time for a clot to dissolve naturally. How did the clot get there? did you suffer A-F?
Thanks for your responses.  I have been monitored very closely the last few years while on coumadin.  It was a pain, but I had the test done each and every time the doctor said.  I have spoken to the doctor again and he says it is safe to go off the coumadin.  He re-checked the echo, and my clot is definately gone.  He said he would do another test, a TEE (trans esophageal echo) if I really wanted some further convincing, but he fully believed it would not show anything either.  So, I will take his word for it, and relax, and thank my Lord for all the healing.  For those who wanted to know, I got the clot after having a central line inserted so that they could treat a condition known as TTP (thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura)  I was going to need to go through plasma pharesis for the illness, and the clot formed at the tip of the catheter on the second day.  Once again, thank you all for your posts.