Heart Disease Community
blood pressure lowers during jogging

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

blood pressure lowers during jogging

My blood pressure is normally 120/180.  However, after jogging 3 miles my blood pressure will be 98/75.  Why would my blood pressure go down, instead of up, during intense exersice?

This discussion is related to Low blood pressure a cause of poor exercise capacity?.
The normally blood pressure should have been 120/80, now 102/180.  My typing mistake.
Rhythmic muscular activity such as jogging, swimming, and bicycling induces dilation of the working vessels in the working muscles and enhances the flow of blood through large portions of the peripheral vasculature. Alternate contraction and relaxation of the muscles themselves also provide a significant pumping force to propel blood through the vascular circuit and return it to the heart. The increased blood flow during moderate, rhythmic exercise causes systolic pressure to rise rapidly in the first few minutes of exercise where it levels off at 140 to 160 mm Hg. As steady-state exercise continues, systolic pressure may gradually fall as the arterioles in the muscles continue to dilate and peripheral resistance to blood flow becomes reduced. During this exercise, the diastolic blood pressure remains relatively unchanged. Following a bout of sustained steady-state exercise, systolic blood pressure is temporarily reduced below pre-exercise levels for both normotensive and hypertensive subjects. This phenomena may last up to 2 hrs during recovery.

If your blood pressure is low AFTER exercise, that is most likely normal. If it drops while you are at or working up to your peak exertion, you need to mention this to your doctor.

Good Luck.

Jon
Thank you for your  comment.  I have not check my blood pressure during jogging.  Just when I finish.    I like the pictures of your cars!!!!!
You are welcome, and thanks for the compliments on the "fleet", they are my weakness and my way to forget about the corporate world sometimes and just get lost............

Also,as an FYI, my blood pressure will drop from my ave of 110/70 to as low as 100/60 after exercise, that's pretty normal. I check mine when I'm on the treadmill and it rises to about 150/80 and then levels off when I level off at my normal pace. After a few minutes it can even drop a little, my cardiologist says that is normal blood pressure response to exercise.

Jon
I have been suffering from normal low blood pressure. I went to see my doctor as i had been feeling light headed throughout the day. I am a early childhood teacher and am on my feet most of the day. Out of the blue i started feeling light headed. My doctor took my blood pressure and told me it was normal low.. A couple of week later i went back to visit him to see if there was anything that could be done to prevent this. He took my blood pressure while i was lying down it was 121/75 then took it while i was standing and it had dropped to 111/75.. This has started since taking up jogging. Does anyone have any tips for this...