Heart Disease Expert Forum
breathing and heart and medication

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

breathing and heart and medication

In feb I was diagnosed with a sinus Tach. *I went on toporal 50mg
I did pretty well then became dizzy a majority of the time and at times had difficulty breathing. Dr. Lowered my dose to 25 mg and I felt much better with the dizziness gone and only had breathing problem once in awhile. I felt great for most of the summer with a few rough days where I had heart palps. Over the last month I have been having bouts of racing heart again and shortness of breath mainly when I walk steps or even a flat surface. The Dr. increased my toporal to 50 mg last week and I am still having trouble breathing when I walk and at night waking up with a racing heart and breathing trouble. My lungs are clear I had an xray. I know you can't diagnose but have you ever seen this come back when I was feeing so good.? ANd any idea what is going on with my breathing? Could the toporal cause the shortness of breath? And Could these be symtoms (symptoms) of a Mitral Valve Prolaspe? Any other thougts I miss feeling normal?
ANd I really appreciate the time you take to read and answer the many questions. Oh I am a non smoker and non drinker I am 42 years old And do my best to eat right and take vitamins
Thanks in advance
JOY
Dear Joy,

It is possible this is related to the Toprol but you are on a small dose.  I would ask your doctor about other potential causes such as the tachycardia, asthma, deconditioning or anxiety related conditions.  All these are potential causes of your complaints.  Best wishes.
Thank you for your reply. Mylungs were clear on the xray so that rules out Astma right? and I know it is not aniexty because it can wake me up at night and it happens when I am active or a I talk alot and when I am just calm and talking. I was hoping that you might have seen something like this I am really frustrated and I enjoy my life and want to be active.  I had a horrible night last night I woke up with my heart racing and then slowing down for several hours and then the breathing problem. If you have any other thoughts I would welcome them.
Really do appreciate your time
JOY
The XRay does not rule out asthma.  You would need to get breathing tests to exclude this diagnosis.
I just wanted to let you know I had the same exact problem when I was on Toporol.  I also started with 50 mg.  Right after I started, I felt terrible -- tired all the time and out of breath.  That improved, but my lungs did not.  I couldn't walk anywhere without gasping for air.  No matter how slow I walked, I was out of breath.  I had all the tests for my lungs (normal)and finally my dosage was decreased to 25 mg.  That helped a lot, but I still had trouble breathing.  Finally I stopped it all together.  The first week after I stopped the beta blocker was awful -- I fainted and was dizzy all the time, but after about a month I no longer had pain in my lungs and I'm now back to normal.  I thought I'd let you know that I feel strongly that the beta blocker can affect the lungs.
Thanks for your comments.