Heart Disease Expert Forum
'bruised' hands and feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

'bruised' hands and feet

Posted By  CCF-CARDIO MD sc on October 06, 1997 at 11:16:30:

In Reply to: 'bruised' hands and feet posted by Rebecca on October 01, 1997 at 14:19:11:

: My husband started having spots on his feet that felt bruised, as though he'd stepped on a rock, and when I would look, I could see what looked like a dark red deeplying bruise.  These are on the soles of his feet and feel 'mushy'.  He's had these for about 6 weeks, and now he also gets them on his fingertips and the creases of the joints of the fingers.  His hands swell also, and he had to go in and have his wedding band cut off because the finger swelled so fast a couple of days ago.  He's 29 and has always been healthy.  I posted in another forum and it was suggested I try posting here.  The doctors he's seen so far seem baffled.  Any ideas?

Dear Rebecca
I am sorry to hear about your husbands condition. It is very difficult for me to determine the cause of his condition without actually getting a full history and physical examination, with special attention to any associated symptoms and any recent exposures. Spots or bruises on the soles  of the feet and hands may be due to a variety of conditions. Many causes may be benign, while others may possibly related to a variety of viral/bacterial infections or  to a rheumatologic condition where  inflammation of the joints may be related to inflammation of small blood vessels in the hands and feet. My suggestion to you, is that if your doctors still have not given you any answers,  that your husband be seen by a dermatologist and a rheumatologist  preferably when the spots are present. If you like you could call 1-800-CCF-CARE to set up an appointment with these specialists here at the Cleveland Clinic. Hope. I wish you can get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only.
Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your family physician(s).