Heart Disease Community
bruising on lips

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

bruising on lips

What causes a person's bottom lip to get a bruise-like, circular, purple discoloration?  It's occurred several times even though there has not been any trauma to the lip.  It is not hurt, but the last one felt puffy and I knew something was there before I saw it.

This discussion is related to purple lips.
Do you have heart problems?  If so, watch out for blue lips, nose, ears, limps.  This would be very serious and you will need to be seen by a doctor right away.  It could be a lack of oxygen.  
Hi, maybe you sometimes bite it in your sleep? Overall blueness or purpleness can indicate lack of oxygen, purple spots can indicate low platelets (as in e.g. Thrombolytic Thrombocytopenia Purpura, try saying that fast three times :)

But one single spot? Seems like a trauma.
Also, Raynauds can cause color changes in the lips, nose, hands and feet. It usually goes from white to blue to red. I don't always experience all the color changes but I do turn grayish blue at times, especially my hands and feet. A Raynauds attack can be triggered by stress or cold (anything under 65 degrees seems to do it). Just another thought.

If this is new to you, check with your doctor. I'm thinking like the others though, that you may be biting your lip in your sleep.
hi my 12 year old daughter woke up sunday morning with a ring of purple spots under her bottom lip and in between the lip and spots it is bruise like in colour.she has not banged her mouth at all and when she goes outside her bottom lip swells and turns blue.she has been seen by a pharmacist,nurse and doctor and all were completely baffled.anyone have any ideas?? she has no pain!
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
JessicaWooten31 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
1 hr ago
Dalubaba commented on Brain Fog ..the cause...
SassyLassie commented on photo
Apr 16