Heart Disease Community
bubble echocardiogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

bubble echocardiogram

can you please tell me what is a bubble echocardiogram? and how invasive is the test.
thank you Sharon
Usually a bubble echo is looking for an opening between the top 2 chambers in the heart.  During a regular echo, which is totally noninvasive, they inject some saline with a small amount of air into an IV.  That is the only invasive part of the test.  They then look at the screen and see where the bubbles go.  In a negative study, they all go over to the left side of the heart.  In a positive study, some don't go to the left side, indicating a possible connection or small hole in the heart.  It is totally painless; I have had 2 done.
I had this done too.  I had patent ductus surgery (PDA) as a baby. I am now on liver transplant list so they did further tests just to check everything out.  The test didn't hurt a bit.

I "figure" that it is better to be safe than sorry, and my doctors are just being thorough.

Don't be nervous.  I am constantly amazed at what doctors can do today.  Just think of it as your own episode of Discovery Health!  
I just had this done yesterday.  I was under the impression that the bubbles moving to the left side was a bad thing.  The tech said- when you cough we shouldn't see the bubbles moving, unless there is a hole.  If there is a hole you will see them flood to the left side- (we did).