bubble echocardiogram
can you please tell me what is a bubble echocardiogram? and how invasive is the test.
thank you Sharon
Usually a bubble echo is looking for an opening between the top 2 chambers in the heart.  During a regular echo, which is totally noninvasive, they inject some saline with a small amount of air into an IV.  That is the only invasive part of the test.  They then look at the screen and see where the bubbles go.  In a negative study, they all go over to the left side of the heart.  In a positive study, some don't go to the left side, indicating a possible connection or small hole in the heart.  It is totally painless; I have had 2 done.
I had this done too.  I had patent ductus surgery (PDA) as a baby. I am now on liver transplant list so they did further tests just to check everything out.  The test didn't hurt a bit.

I "figure" that it is better to be safe than sorry, and my doctors are just being thorough.

Don't be nervous.  I am constantly amazed at what doctors can do today.  Just think of it as your own episode of Discovery Health!  
I just had this done yesterday.  I was under the impression that the bubbles moving to the left side was a bad thing.  The tech said- when you cough we shouldn't see the bubbles moving, unless there is a hole.  If there is a hole you will see them flood to the left side- (we did).