Heart Disease Community
bypass

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

bypass

after bypass surgery having fluid around the heart is it danger?

This discussion is related to Complications after bypass.
Tags: bypass
Well, first of all, there is always fluid in the sac surrounding the heart but a small amount. If however, the fluid level builds up too much, it can impair the hearts normal function. Once the condition has been found by Doctors, then it's not really anything to get overly worried about. Medications usually remove the fluids but if this fails or the medication is too late, then it can be drained with minor surgery. They simply guide a drain into the sac using an echo scanner. These problems can last anywhere between 2 weeks and a few months.

my brother in law had a 5 by pass 6 wks ago.  now he had fluid on the lungs and was admitted to hospital where they did the procedure to get the fluid out . is that normal as i never heard of that.
Fluid in the lungs is not normal under any circumstance.  Usually, if heart related, it is usually due to a heart not being strong enough to pump all the blood received from the lungs.  The blood backs up in the lungs, and blood serium leaks into the lung tissues (edema).

If your brother-in-lawhad a weak heart prior to the bypass, the heart may need more time to adjust, but indications are the heart is not strong enough at this time to adequately pump the amount of blood rec'd from the heart.

Hope this provides a perspective, and if you have any further questions or comments, you are welcome to respond.  Thanks for the question.  Take care

Hi kenkeith
The comment you posted is very useful. My dad is going through the same procedure and it is been a week that the drain is still connected to his lung to remove the water, but it is still coming. The doctor says heart is functioning very well. So why still there is a fluid and what is the treatment for it? Has anyone with this condition recovered?
Thanks a lot

The question was fluid around the heart (pericardial effusion)? did you mean the heart or chest cavity because they are two totally different things.
There two causes of pulmonary edema and that is heart failure backload that causes fluids to leak into the lung tissues.  And the edema can be caused by an injury to the lungs, and it can be directly or indirectly caused by increased pulmonary blood pressure, pulmonary edema may appear when this pressure increases from the normal 15 mmHg to above 25 mmHg.

I had pulmonary edema due to heart failure, and I was in ICU for several days to removed fluids and stabilize the oxygen level to normal. I have completely recovered going on 7 years.

Thanks for your questions, and if you have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond.  Take care.
__________
QUOTE: "The question was fluid around the heart (pericardial effusion)? did you mean the heart or chest cavity because they are two totally different things".

>>>>You are correct.  There is a difference of fluid around the heart and pleural effusions.  Pleural effusion would be fluids in the space located between the lungs and the chest cavity as opposed to fluids around the heart.  Good point.