bypass
My grandpa is 72 and had triple bypass three weeks ago, still in ICU because he caught pneumoina took him off the ventalator because said it was breaking up let him eat for three days and move around then his lungs filled up with fluid and back on the ventalator. His oxygen in his blood was good again this morning , but wating on results from the lung doctor?
Sometimes if a patient is taken off ventilation too early, the problem can return and sometimes more serious than the first time. My Wife was on a ventilator and the UK has a policy that states when a patient is fully recovered, an extra 48 hours ventilation is given. This lowers the risks greatly of the problem returning in a few days. The old protocol was simply to get the patient off ventilation as soon as possible. I assume they were giving frequent suction to his lungs, to clear them out? and the mucus levels were low and clear in colour when the ventilator was removed? Another rule before removing a ventilator is the patient must be able to cough several times, proving they have strong control over the lungs and can clear any excess mucus if required.