Heart Disease Community
bystolic and weight gain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

bystolic and weight gain

Is Bystolic associated with weight gain?  I have been on
a 5 mg. dose for about 3 months and I have gained 10
pounds with no change in eating habits.  I am pretty
much on 1000 calories a day and watching sodium
intake closely (this is not fun!) and I cannot make the
weight budge.  My doctor says he doesn't know of
Bystolic causing this problem, and that I should just
"keep an eye" on my weight. I am ready to switch docs!

Anyone else with the same problem?  What did you do
about it?  Thanks!
I too have been on 5mg of bystolic for about a year - within the first month of being on the drug I 'packed' on @10 lbs.  I eat a very lo-calorie diet.  My cardiologist basically said - put up with the weight or have a stroke (I am a thin-built woman - not overweight/obese by any means - at least at when I started the meds).  The weight is centered in the belly region - an area where I never carried weight - oh boy not now!!!  I don't want to hear the 'you need to exercise more, blah, blah - I don't have the energy!!  I guess I should accept the weight, but the bystolic makes me sooooo tired - I have to try to get important work done early in the day - by 2-3PM, I'm beat.  I don't know why doctors won't admit that weight gain is an issue - it's not vanity for me - it's quality of life.  I am tired, I am packing on belly fat (which in itself isn't good - per the doctors) and just looking for a way to get back to 'normal' - I'm to the point where I'll take the stroke risk - just to return to feeling like my 'old self'......
Wow, you could be describing my life.  I try to get everything done by 2-3, because after that I'm exhausted and have brain fog.  The 20mg of Bystolic has my BP under control at last, but at quite a cost.  And if I weren't so effing tired, I'd exercise more.  It's hard to accept the weight gain (one was 5 lbs in a month when they increased the B. from 10 mg to 20mg) when you've never looked like this and were always a bundle of energy.  Now two dog walks a day, and I'm looking for a place to lie down.  I'm sooo impressed by rally's 1000 calories a day, but I'm not sure I could do it.  It does look like the next step, though.

Why did they stop making speed?