calcified plaque
I have been told once calcified plaque in the coronary arties has formed it can not be removed. And must be bypassed.   You can prevent additional plaque from forming.
The coronary plaque that breaks off and float to another area
Is it the calcified plaque.  Or is it??  
When referring to plaque buildup in the coronary arteries, the referenced plaque can be to the soft plaque that resides within the vessel walls.  The buildup can narrow the vessel lumen (stenosis) and reduce blood supply to heart cells.  This plaque can rupture through the lining and cause blood clots and a heart attack.  This conditrion runs the highest risk of a heart attack and can be evaluated with CT scan-64 slice.

The other plaque residing within the lumen is usually calcified and the hard plaque can break away and cause heart attack, but is less frequent than soft plaque rupture event.  The large, calcified plaque growing on the inside surface of coronary arteries is not the cause of most heart attacks. Rather, the primary culprit is the soft, relatively small "vulnerable" plaque that forms within the vessel walls. Large, calcified plaque is actually relatively stable and, because of its hard calcified covering, less commonly cracks. The more dynamic, less stable soft plaque is much more likely to suddenly rupture. As the body forms a clot to try to heal such a rupture, the result may be a total blockage of blood flow; in other words, a heart attack. The soft plaque is hidden inside the walls of the artery and often causes no obvious blockage or loss of blood flow until, of course, the often-fatal rupture.

Coronary atherectomy removes plaque from the arteries supplying blood to the heart muscle. It uses a laser catheter, or a rotating shaver ("burr" device on the end of a catheter). The catheter is inserted into the body and advanced through an artery to the area of narrowing. Other devices are dissectional catheterectomy, catheters that shave off the plaque, or laser catheters that vaporize the plaque. Balloon angioplasty or stenting may be used after an atherectomy.

My doctor states soft plaque is easier to reverse than hard plaque.  Reversing soft plaque can occur when HDL is higher than LDL cholesterol.  I have had a CT scan and my calcium score is high indicating much soft plaque present.  My HDL is 63 and LDL is 43 with medication, also it is my understanding the  plaque in the brain and peripheral vessels can be reversed as well.
kenkeith is right.  There is increasing research and advancement on the mitigation of heart disease through various interventions.  One recent study conducted by the High Desert Heart Institute showed the value of l-arginine oral supplementation in combating heart disease. In just 90 days HDL increased by 18% while triglycerides dropped 40%.  BP also dropped an average 15% (systolic/diastolic).  You can read more about the preliminary study finding here: http://www.healthtechmall.com/announcements/high-desert-heart-institute-study-findings/.  The final publications are soon to be published publicly in various medical journals.