can you hear your heart when you lay down
when i lay down i hear my heart and it's loud sometimes it keeps me awake
Are you drinking caffeine or energy drinks before bed?  A strong heart beat can be heard and felt along with the pulses felt and seen.  
I hear mine too and sometimes it bothers me very much.  It is louder since I had my open heart surgery.  Other times I don't hear a thing.  Guess that is just "normal" for me. Don't really know why this is, but it is.
I have never heard my heart when lying down, but I can feel every beat a lot of the time.  It is pretty annoying
There is an artery close to the ear and when laying in a particular position it may be the sound of the blood through the artery.
I hear 4 beats every time my heart beats once, but only in my right ear and only when its very quiet and my right ear is on the pillow.  The beats are very distinct  and evenly spaced with one being slightly echoed with the heartbeat.  Clinick check yesterday showed very good EKG and I am in excellent health at 56.  Sure would like to know if anyone knows of this!
I had this problem after my MI, and it lasted for about a year then vanished. When I had my bypass surgery it came back for three months until the bypass failed. Then after my recent angioplasty I came off beta blockers and it became louder than ever for about 3 months but now I can't hear a thing. You know, when it was there I complained about it, but I kinda miss it now its gone. At least when I could hear it I knew it was making a nice rhythmic noise, but now I have nothing to go on. Silence is not golden in this situation.
I can't help but wonder if it's like the ticking clock syndrome. Where you are in a quiet room and you hear tick tock until eventually the brain decides to ignore it. Maybe it gets used to the sounds of your heart and blocks them out over a period of time. When a surgeon tinkers with your heart, maybe the sound is different enough for the brain to not recognise it again. A bit like swapping the clock in a room for a different one. It's obviously not the case with everyone, but many people hear their heart after surgery for a few months and it fades away and I can't think of any other explanation really.
Gee, the thread is 2 years old! :).  I stay with my original response that the sound is related to a vessel that is close to the ear drum.  I remember a poster stated the pressure on a neck vessel stopped the sound....but the problem could also be caused by an inner ear infection and few other causes such as high blood pressure..