Heart Disease Expert Forum
captopril
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

captopril

I recently had an echo as a follow up for a myocardial Infraction I had three years ago. It showed an ejection fraction of 30-35%. It also showed mild diastolic dysfunction. I have been taking 12.5 mg of captopril 3 times a day. My doctor increased my dosage to 25mg 3 times a day. I beleive this is the first times diastolic dysfuction has been on an echo I've had. Is this why the doctor increased the captopril? What will this increase do?

Thank you,
                                               James
Related Discussions
238671_tn?1189759432
Your doctor increased the ACE inhibitor dose because of the low ejection fraction. The increased does will hopefully help strenghten your heart muscle and improve the ejection fraction. The diastolic dysfunction was probably there previously, but not commented upon.
3 Comments
Blank
Doc. I got the dosage wrong on the question about the captopril. I'm taking 25mg 3 times a day and was increased to 50mg 3 times a day.

James
Blank
Why don't you ask your doctor about some of the newer ACE inhibitors like AltAce or Zestril.

They are proven effective against cardiomyopathy, may be easier to tolerate, and may be effective in lower doses.

I am personally a believer in ALTACE after taking it for three months.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank