Heart Disease Community
cardiac monitor electrodes and rash help?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I have the cardiac monitor on and will be having it for 21 days. Is there something out there that will help with the rash around the electrodes site that does not affect the electrodes or monitor? I have a rash around each electrodes really bad and when I change the electrodes every other day underneath is fine,just one is starting a rash underneath one electrode. I don't know if I am allergic to them because I was fine until yesterday and have them on since the 7th of May. Also the heat is not helping at all either. If it gets worse tomorrow I will call the doctor. Anybody who's been through this what help you?
I would ask your doctor's office specifically.  I don't think you can use anything, as it would compromise the stick you need for good contact.  Just a guess.  I feel for you.  I had adhesive sensitivities and even after a 24 hour Holter I feel rather irritated.  After a 48 hour monitor, my skin was peeling and scabbing.  I just kept thinking of how important the test was and used that as my mantra lol
I have been through exactly what you're going through. Ask your Dr's office for "skin sensitive electrodes" They are made of cloth and are less irritating to the skin. Good luck!
Ooooooh, I feel for ya.  Those sticky pads start off feeling fine, but a few days into wearing them....OUCH!!  I also had itching and bleeding.  I can't remember if I called the doctor or Medtronics (manufacturer), but they sent me a set of pediatric patches.  That helped a lot.  They are not as big, and are for sensitive skin.  Good luck with the monitor.
It's true there are skin sensitive electrodes you can use. I had to use them too. Just be aware that they are not as sticky. So if you get very warm or sweaty they could drop off. Oops.
I did not even know they MADE sensitive skin electrodes, though I guess that only makes sense.  I'm asking for those next time!  Ouch!
Avatar n tn
I suggest the OTC cortisone,  Years back I had to wear holter monitor for 1 month and I remember the pain of the rash / itching and moving the electrodes did not help.   I thought for sure I would end up w/ scars as it felt like they bore a hole in my skin! .  Just a week ago I needed to have the electrodes attached again and they were only on for  1 1/2 hours tops but again the very next day I have perfect patches of rash where the electrodes were placed.  I have used everything I thought would work and nothing even the cortisone is really any relief but it was better than nothing.  Sorry to disappoint you maybe you will have better luck than me.   I have to visit the cardiologist at the end of the month and I am already dreading them having to do it again.  Double ouch!!!!
Avatar n tn
I have the same reaction to electrodes as you; painful burning, reddened welts on my skin. The marks last for months. The pediatric electrodes were just as bad as the adult one. However, at my cardiac rehab they have hypo-allergenic electrodes, which do not bother me at all.  No pain, no welts.
I even bought some over the internet -- you can buy just one or two bags of them for a reasonable price.
Avatar n tn
Hi.  Would you remember what/where you got those electrode patches on the internet that did not tear up your skin.  I am using a monitor but stopped it after just short of 2 weeks b/c even the so-called hypo-allergenic ones became unbearable and actually have caused an almost sytemic allergic reaction.  Meanwhile, I do need to continue the test ...
Thanks for any advice.
PS - One thing helped most - an ice pack wrapped, only once, in a towel applied up to 20 minutes on the affected areas.  A nurse told me the brain can't interpolate both intense itch and cold, and the cold supersedes the itch.  The first time I used it the relief was fabulous; after several times it is not as effective but it's the best I've found.
I've been wearing my monitor for about 20 days and I'm HIGHLY allergic! If I even have them on for 10 minutes, my ski. Starts to bubble and blister, I have started to scar and I've developed a chemical burn on one of them. I've tried the peds but they aren't any better! With the peds it's the same old blisters and burning! I tried the lotions but they make me break out into hives. I am at wits end with these stupid things. Plus the gel starts to drip down my side. I've moved the pads around but wherever I put them, the skin get extremely red and bubbly and oozy and painful.
Do you have any specific information as to where to get the hypo-allergenic electrodes, ie. Manufacturer and contact information for the manufacturer?  When I called Cardionet, the vendor for my monitor, I was told that they do not have any hypo-allergenic adhesives.
Avatar n tn
Hi, Read your post about the allergic reaction....did you end up scarring? I have a horrible rash and it is soooo itchy and I am afraid it will scar :(
You would think the monitor company would use them.
I also have them on me wore them for 24 hours , & also for few Emergencys , not i have light patchs  on my collar bone area under one breat that  still gets itchy . I wore them in the spring .time . But never thought of asking for sensitive ones . Certainly will next time ..