Heart Disease Expert Forum
cardiolite vs thallium
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

cardiolite vs thallium

Could someone please explain the difference between
  thallium and cardiolite. I'm scheduled for a stress
  test using cardiolite, and I want to know the difference
  and if one is better than the other.
    Thanks,
    Susan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Susan:
Cardiolite [Technetium Tc99m Sestamibi] and thallium are different chemicals that act in a similar manner.  Both agents are used for imaging heart muscle; cells that are alive take up these chemicals, but cells that are dead cannot.  Different stress testing labs prefer one agent over the other, and some use both.  Cardiolite is relatively newer and many labs have begun using it.  For a number of technical reasons, it is more convenient to use.  There is no compelling evidence that one agent is "better" than the other.
I hope this has been useful.  If you have any further question, feel free to write back.
If you wish to be evaluated here at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at desk F15.  Information provided in the Heart Forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your doctor.