Heart Disease Community
cardiomegaly

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

cardiomegaly

i have recently been told i have cardiomegaly, also some fluid around my heart, have a echo scheduled but not for a week.  if having pain, when and should i go to the er.
Hi Lisalynn i read your post....whenever you are having any pain whether or not you have an enlarged heart w. fluid around it is suspect.  I would contact the physician that came up w. the diagnosis and let them make the call.  If it were my heart and i was feeling any type of pain and was scared or worried even in the back on my mind i would def. call the doc sooner rather then later and they will tell you whether you need to head to the E.R. or not.....better to be safe then sorry my friend...
Hi lisalynn, for some insight into what you may have in regards to the observation of  fluids around the heart is normal, and sometimes there can be a condition of pericarditis inflammation of the pericardial sac surrounding the heart. This sac has two layers, one that fits tightly onto the heart muscle and another looser layer surrounding the inner layer and between are fluids. Inflammation of these tissue layers surrounding the heart is pericarditis.

The heart is surrounded by a double-layered, sac-like structure called the pericardium. The space between the layers normally contains a very small amount of fluid.

Pericardial effusion (excessive fluids) is often related to inflammation of the pericardium that's caused by disease or injury, but pericardial effusion can also occur without inflammation. "Sometimes, pericardial effusion can be caused by the accumulation of blood after a surgical procedure or injury. When the volume of fluid exceeds the pericardium's "full" level, pericardial effusion puts pressure on the heart, causing poor heart function". This condition can cause the heart to not fill properly as the fluids restrict heart wall movement and heart walls do not relax but are stiff.

If you wait too long there can be heart damage, so you should see a doctor as soon as possible and an emergency call would be appropriate based on you are now experiencing pain. The condtion can be properly treated.

Thanks for your sharing, and if you have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond. take care.